Friday 29 May 2015

CHOCOLATE DIPPED TOUTON BITES







Toutons are a traditional Newfoundland treat consisting of leftover dough that has been fried and covered in Molasses. I loved Toutons growing up but my Grandmother served me mine with apple sauce. I was never a lover of molasses but she could convince me to eat different foods if there was applesauce. I still love applesauce and it reminds me of her whenever I dip something. We also put applesauce in our turkey dressing as well.

  • Take a loaf of your left over bread dough and cut it into bite size pieces
  • Allow it to rise on a warm stove.
  • When the toutons are of the desired size you are ready to go.
  • Heat up about 1/2 cup of oil in a skillet.
  • Add the toutons one by one.
  • I can usually get about 6-8 toutons in my skillet at a time.
  • As they brown, turn them over and remove them from the oil after both sides have browned.
  • I let them drain and cool before I dip them in chocolate.
  • The chocolate is easy to melt.
  • Just grab a cup full of chocolate chips and put them into a glass measuring cup to melt in the microwave or drop them into a dipper and heat on 4-5 while stirring until the chocolate chips begin to melt.
  • Remove from heat and keep stirring.
  • Dip the toutons into the chocolate and allow to harden.



  • Have mercy. These little babies are a real treat and they are so fun to make. Give them a go and let me know what you think.