Wednesday 30 April 2014

MACARONI AND CHEESE SIDE DISH WITH A BREAD CRUMB TOPPING




There is nothing like Mac and Cheese as a side dish to a nice steak. We love our homemade mac and cheese in this house and it is so easy to pull together. Shaun and I both make our mac and cheese differently. He likes to add Velveeta cheese and I will not eat Velveeta if you paid me. I’m not a fan. I don’t like the creamy cheese sauce at all. He tells me I don’t like mac and cheese if I don’t like Velveeta and I grumble and tell him he likes a cheap KD imitation. We wrastle for about 10 minutes and get back to cooking. I won’t back down for no one. haha The photograph above is for my Mac and Cheese. I’ll share Shaun’s version when he makes it again.
Macaroni and Cheese Side Dish
1 pack of macaroni boiled in a lightly salted water
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup of milk
Mozzarella cheese shredded
Cheddar cheese shredded
Once the macaroni has boiled and drained I add the butter first, next the milk and the cheese last. I always add the Mozzarella before the Cheddar though. I’m very particular about the cheese. It probably doesn’t make much of a difference but tell that to my head. We would wrestle if you disagreed.
I add about 1 cup of Mozzarella and 2 and 1/2 cups of the Cheddar cheese. Once I mix it together and it all begins to melt and blend together I sprinkle my bread crumbs on the top. I will add a few extra sprinkles of the Mozzarella and Cheddar together with the bread crumbs. This will help it all join together. Yum! I bake it on 325 for 40 minutes.
I swear mine is better or do you like the Velveeta too? Do you add another cheese to your dish?