Monday 19 May 2014

COD AU GRATIN



Cod, a Newfie food staple, for sure. I had a request to make cod au gratin for my son-in-laws birthday supper. It's the first time I made it and I sort of did it my way.
Ingredients:
2-3lbs cod fillets 3 tbsp. margarine 6 tbsp. flour 2 cups 2% milk salt and pepper to taste 2 cups grated cheddar 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
Boil the cod fillets in salted water for 5 minutes. Drain and break the fish into small pieces.
Melt the margarine in a saucepan. Mix the flour and milk together and add to the margarine, stirring until thickened. Use medium heat.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray large casserole dish. Layer fish and sauce until all used. Evenly spread cheese over the top and then sprinkle the dressing over it all. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is browned and bubbling.