Wednesday 30 April 2014

HOMEMADE BATTERED & FRIED CHICKEN BURGER




We don’t have a deep fryer. We got rid of it a few years back. It wasn’t just health concerns, we also had safety concerns as my brother left it off after cooking supper for him and Dad one evening while I was at the Craft Fair. I leave the house maybe 12-15 times per year, groceries every 2 months, 5 craft fair days and Christmas shopping. Of course, one of those craft fair days, we arrive home to the house full of smoke and both my Dad and my brother in bed asleep. The deep fryer went into the garbage that night.
Shaun is the deep fry junkie. I swear he would deep fry pizza if he could get away with it. This is his recipe for deep fried chicken breasts. If I ever have it again though, I’m going to toss the bun.
Cook your chicken ahead of time and allow it to stand. I like to leave it for at least an hour or so.
Coat your chicken in flour or corn starch.
Mix together;
2 tb. savory
2 tb. oregano
2 tb. onion garlic powder
1 pk. pizza crust mix
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup water
Stir it together so it is a thin consistency. Dip your chicken into the mixture.
Add the chicken to a heated pan of about 1/2 cup oil.
Turn on both sides for about 3 minutes each.
Remove from the oil and dip back into the batter again.
Fry the chicken again.
You can leave out the double battering if you want.
I would much prefer the one fry instead of the two times it was.
Serve on a bun with fries for a fast food experience at home.